Menemsha is a fishing village located within the town of Chilmark on the western side of Martha’s Vineyard. In 1905 Menemsha Creek was dredged to form the working fishing basin of today.
According to Wikipedia:
…The village’s historic harbor serves as the point of departure for local fishermen, some from multi-generational fishing families, as well as charter boats to the Elizabeth Islands and elsewhere. Besides charter fishing and cruises, other possibilities for recreation are the public beach adjacent to the harbor and the bicycle ferry across Menemsha Pond to Aquinnah. Menemsha is the location of a United States Coast Guard station and was once known as Menemsha Creek.
This sculpture commemorates the sizeable fleet of swordfishermen who at one time called Menemsha home.
The beach at Menemsha is small and quiet with calm waters. Great beach for finding stones and shells.