Chilmark, located on the western (Up-Island) side of MV was settled in 1671and officially incorporated on Sept 16, 1694. It, like Tisbury, were named for towns in England. Chilmark is a town of rolling hills, stone walls and sheep farms. Alley’s General Store, the Grange Hall, Methodist church, and a handful of other buildings constitute what is considered to be the center of town, known as Beetlebung Corner. Alley’s General Store, pictured above, began in 1858 and is the oldest operating retail business on MV. It is part of the Martha’s Vineyard Preservation Trust properties.
Menemsha Hills Reservation is a 200 acre preserve operated by the Trustees of Reservations. Allow yourself plenty of time to enjoy exploring this beautiful preserve. About 10 minutes into the walk the trail splits in two… one direction leading to Prospect Hill, the Island’s second highest spot… the other direction leading to the beach.
The fishing village of Menemsha is located on the northern end of Chilmark. The only Coast Guard station on MV is located here.